Sunday, March 29, 2009

2nd Annual Georgia Springfling Soaping Conference.

It's been a long time since the last time I posted, and I couldn't pass up this opportunity to let you all know what a wonderful time I had attending the 2nd Annual Georgia Springfling Soaping Conference this past Saturday. The day was filled with a wealth of information, swaps, door prizes (everyone at least got 3 items a piece), and alot of friendship.

This year guest speaker was Donna Marie the creative mind behind the Indie Beauty Network, Indie Business Radio and of Indie Shopping TV. Although I was running late getting to the conference I did manage to catch some of Donna Marie's presentation "Enjoy Your Life! Build Your Business! Have Your Way!" She spoke about finding that passion that we had when we first started making soap or candles and use it to push us forward during these economic times. The love that we have for our craft can be seen in our products which in turn is communicated to our customers when we sell the product. She gave the example of an customer who buys candles from a local store chain. Although they may be able to get a candle cheaper, do they get the same customer service, or the one on one attention of the owner and maker of that candle?

I would like to thank Linda @ Mitchell Creations for allowing me to use her camera to take a pic with Donna Marie and for sending it to me!!

Other speakers at the conference included Tammy "The Mud Queen (tm)" Doering. She spoke about the benefits of using products from the Dead Sea and the natural healing qualities that Dead Sea Salt and Dead Sea Mud has on our skin. She ended her presentation by making a mineral peel that can reduce aging lines on the face. Which is a natural alternative to Microdermabrasion. Kelly Bloom of Southern Soapers reviewed the FDA regulations for packaging cosmetics and soaps. She also provided a demonstration on how we can color our scrubs and bathbombs with the new Soapalooza (tm) colorants without the fear of leaving behind a colorful trail (lol)!! Paula Kates of PJ Soaps showed us how to layer M&P soaps in a mold without having the colors bleed between layers. She demonstrated her technique by creating this bar for us...the bar looks so beautiful in person. Sindy from Sinfully Sweet Soaps showed us how to make a Massage Candle (She also put her time and energy to making this conference a success). Teresa Davis showed us how to build a surfactant formula to make a nice antibacterial foam or hand soap foam. A whipped soap demonstration was provided by Darlene English.

As you can see we were provided with a wealth of information. Along the way I was able to meet alot of my soaping buddies that I've met online but only knew them by their "username." I had a pleasure of meeting alot of new faces. I personally can't wait for the next time we meet again!!

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Definitely sounds like you had a great time. Lots to learn, which is fun. Donna Maria always sounds like such a happy wonderful person, it would be nice to meet her.

Donna Maria @ Indie Business said...

Hi! Thanks for including me in your blog. I am so honored to be in here with you. You are such a warm and delightful person. I got the number you sent me and I'm going to call you this week. I wish we'd had time to talk more yesterday but we'll make up for it when we talk. Can't wait to catch up and learn more about what you do.

Regina said...

See you one twitter girlie! Nice write up on our awesome conference!

~Regina

dcyrill said...

Looks like fun. But when Indies get together it is always fun. :)

Anonymous said...

Pam, I loved getting to meet you this weekend! It was an absolute treat. I hope to see you again, and in the twittersphere in the meantime!

Kelly Bloom
Southern Soapers
http://www.southernsoapers.com

Paula Kates said...

Dear Pam,

Thank you so much for the feedback on my PJ Soaps demo and for including me in your blog. I was so honored to be asked to come and do a demo and Jan (the big Swede) and I and Sammy (the little pom) ended up having one of the best weekends of the year at the GA Spring Fling. Jan had so much fun he didn't want to go back to work on Monday! Thank you to everyone who welcomed us Wisconsin Yanks so warmly to the beautiful South.

Itiel said...

Awesome Pam! Glad you had a great time.

Daisy Soap Girl said...

I'm glad you had so much fun Pam. Maybe next year I can make it. I have family nearby.